Thursday 7 November 2013

Evaluation

First time I got this assignment I thought that the film camera will be challenging as it's new to me but learning something new can be fun and interesting. I hardly know anything about street photography or any photographers who do this topic so started to research on the definition to grasp what is behind of it and a way to tell a story if needed. Street photography overall was hard to figure out the right settings as I'm too used to looking onto screen after taking shot and just improve on it but the film camera you can't and  can't redo the shot which hurts as that day and moment has gone. I have been unlucky with films as they been getting fogged, scratched and dusty so I had to wash them but then ended up have streaks across the negatives and half an developed negative. Starting shooting the rolls of six films I was hoping that this old film camera actually works and not break on me sometimes it does as the camera takes time to get power from the battery as I was getting freezes when shooting saying BC which I guessed meant battery change even though the battery is fine so that stopped me from chilling around the streets noticing shapes, shadows, facial expressions, as I seen moody, stressed, worried emotions which is interesting and spotting the tones and creases on clothes when passing a variations of lighting example dim light which made me focus on Fstop to constantly quickly change before the shot I want vanished.  The most exciting part of this project is seeing the processed film from the drier seeing if my story of travelling around the streets has come to picture successfully.


For my theme of this assignment is that I looked at how people lives their lives on the streets such as cafe's as in the way they communicate with others showing different gestures, facial expressions and postures and looked at how architecture around us but finding it in window reflections making my images looking all abstract. I find that window reflections can help the image have more things to look out for such as shops that's near, old victorian buildings so that the viewers can get the feel of my surrounding I was taking place on shooting film. I found people looking in different directions intriguing as the light hits on side of face showing light to dark and making creases in clothing a nice texture. Photographing people on the streets has shown relationships on the way they walk in a group, partners or single such as the cafe shot where theres like two on left and right and a women alone in the middle just breaks up the image to me, not looking too much of people so you can get the feel of atmosphere of that place which gives a calm, relaxing sensation.

Street photography has given me experience to view the world differently and take in to thought and look out for the architecture and the view of people living their daily lives. Through this project I think I have gained great social skills and more confidents in going out shooting on my own. Overall I think this was new to me and a big push for me to stick in and stay interested. For my finals of themes I had linked my images with Jakub Ostrowski, Martin Parr, polly Braden and Vivian Marier as they all helped with ideas on how to portray the human interaction and bearings on what to look for in the streets and show the views visually what I see and feel that is an eye catching pass by moments in the streets.









No comments:

Post a Comment