Wednesday 30 October 2013




Walker Evans


Here the image to me draws my eyes to the three women in middle of picture due to the beam of light reflection on window to the ground making little shadows cutting of the beam of light into streaks of shadows from women's legs.  

This image above I feel that Walker is making the viewers feel what's happening in the image such as is that car about to knock over the small guy and make us think does the guy feel like an outcast towards his height. The composition in image is good how hes not focusing on one subject he wants the viewers to wander into the image to spot other themes e.g. business men keeping themselves to themselves not looking at other things around them just focusing on what they are heading. 


Walker Evans is most famous for photographing the great depression with the FSA meaning Farm Security Administration, his work of Subway riders in New York City and his street photos and urban landscapes all around America. I think Walker draws viewers to street photography by showing how honest and real it is but can be seen as quite cruel and brutal at the same time. 

Street photography is difficult in terms of the approach  like having the guts to photograph strangers and thinking to yourself is it right to photograph this person. Doing street photography I find it quite a task to shoot on the streets as I need to do many things at once. It is hard to communicate with subjects especially with my confidence and hard to compose, frame, time the shot and have the right settings.

Walker Evans work instinctively whiles he working on a project, simply by focusing on a certain  neighborhood, city or whatever catches your eye. The benefit of working this way is that it gives us freedom and prevents us from stuck and restricted. Walker Evans makes his images have a sense of purpose as in people to question the images he snapped "why everyday make us have deep thought and consideration of our everyday life and what is peoples mission and what they want to achieve through their work" .


WALKER EVANS SENSE OF PURPOSE
The chief thing I’ve noticed is a solidifying of purpose and conviction and I’ve gained security about what I’m doing. But also part of me says:beware of this, don’t accept acclaim; be careful about being established. There’s this problem. How do you get around the Establishment when something is establishing you? You’re established when you’re in these big museums. I find that quite a challenge. That’s why I’m going to do something with all these things, you find something else, establish that. Part of me doesn’t want this to be established. It shouldn’t be because it tames it. I think I’m doing something that is not acceptable. To find acceptance is quite a thing. 






No comments:

Post a Comment